September 11, 2001 was 10 years ago. It is so hard to believe that 10 years ago, a lot of lives changed forever, and that our nation was changed forever.
I remember the day like it happened a year ago. I was in middle school then, as I had just turned 12. What a year that was. Anyways, I remember being down in the basement doing school, while mom was listening to the radio. All of a sudden, mom ran upstairs and turned on the tv. As she turned on the tv, a plane was crashing into one of the towers in NY. (At the time, I had no idea what the world trade center was). I was dumbfounded. How could this be happening, and what was causing it to happen. We all stood around the tv just watching it replay over and over, asking mom what was happening. She just kept saying "shh, I'm trying to listen to find out." So we were all quiet, and just kept watching. 30 mins later, I remember seeing another plane hit the other tower. This is when I knew, something wasn't right. Planes don't just crash into towers everyday. So we continued to watch. I had decided that school was not happening that day. I sat down to process everything, and as I did I started to think about everyone that was in those two buildings. How were they going to get out? Was anyone even alive? I started to ask those questions, and my mom said that they were sending all the rescue crews to start helping. It wasn't too long later, that all of a sudden, they switched screens just as a plane was flying into the Pentagon in Washington DC! I could not believe it! We all tried to remain calm, as we knew that my dad was working the pentagon! I could tell mom was trying to be brave too, as she tried to call my dad. Right after she got no answer, my grandma called asking if Dad was ok. Then my uncle, then my great uncle, then our pastor, then friends, it was crazy. I was so scared. I have always had a fear of losing one of my parents, and don't know what would happen and what I would do if I ever did, so I just sat there. I think I said a prayer. Simple words of, "God, please let daddy be ok! I don't want to lose him." I then also started to think about, if the pentagon got hit, then what was next. Could residental areas be hit? The pentagon isn't too far away from all of that. Oh geez! Nerves just started to rack up! I wanted my dad to be okay, and I wanted everyone else to stay safe too. This was one of those times where no one knew what was happening and that we just had to rely on God's safety. It was a few hours before we heard from Dad, but praise be to God that he was safe! In fact, he didn't even know that the building had been hit because he was on the total opposite side and in the basement! How mighty is our God?! :) I was so thankful that he had begun his new job, because had he still been in the air force, he could've been a lot closer to the danger zone! I was so relieved and thankful that Dad was okay, but I still couldn't help but keep thinking about all the people that were on the planes, that were in the buildings, and that had no idea that 9/11 would be the last day they took a breath. It was a very somber day. The news was on pretty much all day, and to I just kept hoping that as many people possible could get out there safe! I started to think about all the other dads who were affected by this. What about their children? How could they cope after losing their parents? I was really sad after thinking about that. The day went on, and we realized that our country would never be the same. We realized that there were terrorists out there who didn't like us and wanted to destroy us. We also realized that we lost many members of our country, and innocent heroes who died doing their jobs. I remember a few days later, my mom telling me that a family in our homeschool group lost their dad in the Pentagon. I cried. I was so sad for them. I couldn't imagine being in their shoes. The rest of the week was pretty somber. I remember thinking that I was glad those bombers died, because I didn't think they deserved to live. I also thought how could one person do something like that. Then I remembered, it wasn't them. It was their religion. Then I didn't realize or know this, but it applies to that verse, "forgive them Father, for they do not know what they are doing." They were told lies, and that they should die because its an honor in their religion to die for their god. So sad that people of the muslim faith are so lost.
I go on to say all this, because I really feel like September 11th is something I will never forget. I also feel like it is something that our country should never forget. I was so pleased to see our country reaching out to others and being there for others when they really needed it. That is what being an American is about. Being there for our neighbors and lending a helping hand. Think about all the more people who would've died had the firemen and policemen not gone to save them. I have the utmost respect for those men and women. I also won't forget because on this day every year, I feel bad for all of those who have lost a loved one. To me, losing a loved one would be the hardest thing in the world, but losing a loved one on of the biggest history making days in America, would be even harder. Having to listen to people talk about it around this time, having people label you as a 9/11 victim, etc. I just can't imagine and my heart really goes out to those people. Especially the children of the parents who lost their lives. :(
I will end it here, but I just want to say.. I am proud to be an American. I know that America isn't perfect, that we have our many, many flaws, and that there are some who may not like the way the country is going right now, but where would all of us Americans be without America? We are the land of the free, and the home of the brave!! The home of the brave applies to those who sacrificed their lives braverly! :) So I hope that on 9/11 every year, you say a prayer for all those affected by it, and that you remember how big of an impact this day had on our country, and you take a moment of silence to remember those who were lost.
I am done now. Thank you for reading if you made it all the way to the end! I was trying to think of a way to make it more poetic and emotional, but alas, this is what it is! -Corabelle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yVG3nX8MJI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_clidR7drg
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment